Saturday, December 17, 2011

Poet, of Course


I've been writing poetry since 1962, when I wrote my first poem for my mother...at age 12. Since then, I have written more than 1,000 poems (some pretty good, some pretty awful), a great many papers, articles, and reports. I have made thousands of journal entries, since I started "journaling" about the same time I started writing poems. Yet, despite several efforts, a best effort at the great American novel has eluded me.

Recently, I was asked why I have not authored a book...a novel. I was asked why I write so much poetry, when poetry seems to be so little valued and widely ignored in this age of blockbuster books, blustering blogs, and ever-present e-books. It has not been for lack of trying. I think perhaps my recent journey into shadow and re-emergence into the light may provide the impetus I need to start such a project once again. But, will my Muse grow restive, and interfere?

Mick

Poet, of Course

My best plans are often interrupted,
By the sudden appearance of my Muse.
Many a good night's sleep is disrupted,
When my poem suppressor pops a fuse.
Though I reason with logic empiric,
There's a part of my mind that thinks in rhyme --
Whenever I hear a good song lyric,
I try to re-write it, every time.
I work very hard, and fight a good fight
Against my Muse, and try to defeat her;
Yet when descriptive prose I try to write,
I comes out iambic pentameter!
If I write a novel, go make your bets...
It will be written in rhyming couplets.

Mick McKellar
December 2011

No comments: