Saturday, March 09, 2013

Daylight Savings Time










Daylight Savings Time

It's an anachronistic shift of time,
To save energy during days of war.
I must ask, in our frigid northern clime,
Does it track with common sense anymore?
Though we turn on the lights later each night,
And that saves some energy, I suppose,
The tardy arrival of morning light,
Means the lights are on later, heaven knows.
Standard time's great for those early to rise,
And savings time's great for those who sleep late.
Still losing an hour of sleep is no prize,
And resetting all our clocks is not great.
My alarm clock beckons me to my bed,
For at 2 AM, it must spring ahead!

Mick McKellar
March 2013

Ben Franklin may have mentioned the idea of saving time in the 18th century, but I am certain he was referring to getting out of bed before noon, not time shifting. Adopted in the U.S. for the first time in 1918, it was a way to save energy for the war effort. Resurrected during WWII for the same reason, it has continued, in uneven spurts and fits across the country ever since. Passionate people on both sides voice their opinions, and it seems we cannot leave the beginning and ending dates alone. What I don't understand is why I feel tired the night before the time shifts!

Mick

No comments: