Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Breakout

Breakout

I slipped my fetters and I ran away;
I did not look back at my lifelong jail.
The guards I feared, the source of my dismay:
Not there to respond, my flight to assail.
My prison walls, made of anger and fear,
Crumbled silently, fell away to dust;
And the bars that held me, year after year,
Lay beneath my feet -- gone to powdered rust.
The haunted, long years, in that monstrous cage
I built from the fear of what others think,
Fueled sorrow, sadness, resentment, and rage;
And unleashed a flood of digital ink.
My greatest joy, now my Muse is set free:
Though I share what I write, I write for me!

Mick McKellar
March 2016


This piece sprang fully formed from something a friend posted. It was a Facebook meme that said: "The greatest prison people live in, is the fear of what other people think." Apparently, it's a quote from David Icke, a conspiracy theorist who makes a living trying to change what other people think… Hmm…

Mick

No comments: