Monday, January 08, 2024

Outside, Christmas Night

It's 20 degrees outside tonight,
Air clear as crystal and a velvet sky.
Diamond bright stars surround a
Moon so bright it dances on the snow.

I went outside to listen,
To the music of the stars,
To reach upward and touch
The carol of the universe.

Christmas is timeless
In the northern climes,
Green and silver, gold and white,
Gray as shadow, brilliant, bright.

Secretly, I gazed to the East,
Expecting to see a distant star,
Reaching across the years,
To promise joy and peace.

Piercing cold and pearly snow,
Precious touch of an icy breeze
On a soft winter night,
Made my heart sing and my soul soar!

I went outside to dance among the stars,
For Christmas is my favorite time,
Especially when I feel the joy
Of love and the gift of life.

Mick McKellar
January 2024


3 comments:

Burt said...

Another nice one, Mick! Thanks!!

K. Dillard said...

This is beautiful! It makes me want to write poetry, again. I used to write a lot. Well, I still write a lot, just not poetry. Here let me add something I'm just going to make up...

Christmas in Southern California
Sometimes cool, sometimes warm
never a winter storm

No pearly snow, no frosty bites
too many streetlights
for a dark midnight

But, the boats and houses
are all lit
and the children are dreaming
of St. Nicholas.

Mick said...

Beautiful poem! I love simplicity and visualization.