Thursday, February 01, 2024

Cerulean Mind

A poem blossoms in my mind to praise,
A lake that fills my wintry heart with awe,
But you are far away and could not gaze
Upon the glacial wonders that I saw.

As I walk the Lake Superior shore,
I feel the coldness of the bitter breeze;
Waves all sparkle in their crystal splendor,
 A thousand jewels in the Winter frieze.

I marvel at the beauty of this scene:
The contrast of the blue and white and gray,
The silence of the lake, calm and serene,
The solitude of this secluded bay.

I think of how the seasons come and go,
The mirrored lake reflects the changing sky,
And dream of what the future has to show;
What wondrous wonders wait to catch my eye.

As on I walk along the frozen shore,
And marvel at the sculptures icy, stark,
I seek what icy nature has in store
For those who brave such snowy cold and dark.

Dancing on an ancient pale blue mirror,
Traversing the bright cerulean mind,
Each new frigid breath I take is clearer,
Than any of the ones I left behind.

I feel a surge of mystery and wonder,
And a touch of melancholy too,
To witness this bleak sub-arctic splendor,
And wish that I could share it all with you.

Mick McKellar
February 2024

No comments: