Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Sunbow

I drove to work this morning in a cold and gray dawn until I reached our offices on Quincy Hill. As I walked up to the front doors of the building, the sun broke over the horizon and flashed red and gold on both the gray trees and remaining bright leaves that surround the Quincy Mine Office building. It cheered me a little as I entered and headed for my office. Opening the shutters on my office window, I gasped to discover trees aflame with morning sun and a glorious sunbow rising to Heaven beyond. A prayer of wonder escaped my lips as my hands searched for my camera to capture the sight. As I watched, a sudden shower washed the beautiful bow from the sky, the sun crept higher, and the day once again turned gray.

That image is now the background on my computer screen - the captured memory of sudden wonder on a cold gray dawn.

Mick

Sunbow


I wonder why they call it a rainbow,
When sun creates it, and rain makes it go?
I watched one form in the early morn sky -
So colorful, it almost made me cry.
As first rays of sun the horizon cleared,
And with dancing fire the twilit fog seared,
They touched the jeweled hearts of morning mist,
And with prismatic lips the sky was kissed.
A phantom hand with a sudden bright brush,
Traced an arch of wonder, in silent rush.
From Earth to Heaven spanned the bridge of light -
From unseen forest it climbed out of sight,
Until cold cloud tears washed the autumn sky,
And I bade the glorious arch, "Goodbye."

Mick McKellar
October 2007

No comments: