Monday, September 10, 2012

Sword of Sunlight


Anyone taking certain medications, and those with the Celtic Curse (fair skin that burns easily), understands how difficult it can be to avoid exposure to direct sunlight, especially when members of your own family actively seek its bright embrace. I take at least three medications that warn of dire consequences from prolonged exposure to sunlight -- so much so that I joked with my doctor about having to wear a burqa the next time we drive to Mayo Clinic. She laughed, but there was this odd undertone to her laughter, indicating she was, perhaps, considering it...

In high school, my lab partner and I built a ruby laser as a science project. Even the fitful pulses of coherent light from our device taught me about the power of light when focused and concentrated. Little wonder the immense power of Old Sol, our daystar, can deal death as well as support life. All I ask is simple shade -- cool, blue shadow under the wing of an Angel of light -- when menaced by the sword of sunlight.

Mick

Sword of Sunlight


I seek the cool, blue shade under your wing,
Because I just can't bide the brittle glare,
Of sunbeams sharp, so sharp they cut and sting,
When e're they touch my ravaged skin so fair.
The light of life, that burns so far away,
That feeds our world with golden power bright,
Can quickly steal that precious life away,
And sear delicate waking dreams of night.
Though many seek the warm solar embrace,
Those who respect the mighty daystar know;
When softly touched by brilliant blade from space,
The sword of sunlight cleaves both to and fro.
Angel of light, please grant me just one thing,
Soft sanctuary underneath your wing.

Mick McKellar
September 2012

No comments: