Saturday, May 20, 2017

Pie Crust Castles

Your campaign voice wove pageants in my mind,
Bright images flowed swiftly into place.
Your promise of the riches I would find,
Did quickly pull me into greed's embrace.
I saw the fantasies you did describe;
I heard the phantom wind in distant trees;
I felt desire's touch -- its subtle bribe,
And yearning brought my reason to its knees.
The walls, the parapets, the towers seem
So real, I scarce believed that they could fall.
And yet they shattered, fracturing the dream,
Until the castles crumbled, one and all.
Your promises were more fragile than fair,
Your lies, your pie crust castles in the air.

Mick McKellar
May 2017


I wonder if politicians ever think about the sense of loss that must overwhelm many of their volunteers and dedicated supporters when, after they are elected, they fail to pursue the wonderful dreams they spoke about, the pie crust promises of their campaign.

Mick


No comments: