Tuesday, June 10, 2014

First Light














First Light

The bright fiery promise of dawn's first light,
Flickered through treetops limned golden, aglow;
As the cobwebs and shadows of twilight,
Afraid of the morning’s countenance bright,
Fled to the dark places all shadows go.

A happenstance audience on that day,
I stood transfixed on the edge of the road.
My moist eyes were brimming at the display,
Causing my heart, my staid mind to betray,
And I wept as emotions overflowed.

Gently the sun warmed the chill from the air,
Blessing the new day, and kissing the earth
Good morning, awakening ev’rywhere,
The sleepers, now roused and ready to share
The bounty which follows daily rebirth.

As I stood, and I faced the morning sun,
I basked in the warmth of our nearest star.
I felt all my problem knots come undone.
I felt as if life had again begun.
I knew, despite illness, I could go far!

Mick McKellar
June 2014


The touch of the sun on a summer’s morn, awakens life everywhere, even in old, broken me…

Mick

No comments: