Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Hear, Say

Hear, Say

I didn't want to stay indoors,
And ventured out to do some chores.
I love this festive time of year,
When friendly words fall on my ear.

The streets, festooned with festive sights,
And multi-colored Christmas lights;
All bravely showed their bright displays,
To color winter's whites and grays.

The other shoppers shuffling by,
Sometimes would look me in the eye;
And should I hold their gaze awhile,
They'd summon such a dazzling smile.

A few, of course, looked cross and grim,
Yet, never caused the lights to dim.
And if their jaundiced eyes caught mine,
I let my brightest smile just shine.

Though often they're a noisy bunch,
The kids were quiet, on a hunch
That if they didn't gripe and whine,
Santa's generous light might shine...

I wandered long, from store to store,
And found I loved it even more,
When folks whose smiles were warm and free,
With "Merry Christmas!" Greeted me.

I also loved to hear the phrase,
A pleasant "Happy Holidays!"
Other folks began our meetings,
With a joyous "Season's Greetings!"

Later, as at home I pondered,
Greetings proffered while I wandered,
Smiling as my journey ended,
For never once was I offended.

Mick McKellar
December 2015


I grew up during a time when saying, "Happy holidays" was an all-inclusive alternative to "Merry Christmas!" Folks used the phrase to break the repetitiousness of having only one way to offer good wishes. It was not the pontifical, legalistic, inoffensive, lawyer-recommended, and safe holiday phrase it has become. Christmas means different things to different people. So, however they wish to say it, their wishes for my happiness and blessings of the season are welcome. It has never altered the joy I feel at Christmas.

Mick

No comments: