Thursday, October 19, 2023

Autumn Memories


The air is crisp and fresh and good,

The carpet of leaves shush like they should,

Over the river and through the wood.

I wish I could, oh how I wish I could!


Vainglorious Autumn has donned her best,

A rainbow of leaves sparkle in the West,

Chased brilliant streamers at the winds behest,

As the forest welcomes each awestruck guest.


I gaze out my window, my thought conceives

That my heart will feel what my mind believes.

I’ll watch until my mind perceives,

I’m jumping into that big pile of leaves!


I’ll feel all the leaves, cold, soggy, and wet!

I’ll disappear from sight, you can bet!

And then I’ll get stomped by a leaping pet,

About as much fun as a kid can get.


Then I sit back down in my rocking chair,

I’ll smile as the children caper out there.

I’ll laugh to recall the memories we'll share,

If we ever talk, some day, somewhere.


Mick McKellar

October 2023



 

No comments: