Thursday, July 03, 2014

Patriots and Tyrants


 

 

 

 

 

Patriots and Tyrants


A soldier is a patriot at heart,
And offers life and service for us all,
For he or she has done the hardest part,
By answering the nation's battle call.
They offer sacrifice, so I may drink
From freedom's fountain, not be turned away.
We are a land of patriots, I think...
At least, I see the word online each day.
Some say I can be patriotic, too,
But only if I share the stuff they write,
And never question if their words are true.
I think it's time free thinkers join the fight
Tell online tyrants that we disagree.
Refresh the bloody tree of liberty.

Mick McKellar
July 2014


In honor of Independence Day, I wrote this poem because I am weary of the constant barrage of demagoguery and prejudice which often masquerades as patriotism online. Their noise detracts from simple and honest expressions of love of country.  I am not, perhaps, as cynical as Mark Twain, who said a patriot is the person who can holler the loudest without knowing what he is hollering about, but I fear that much which is poignant and beautiful is lost in the noise.

Mick

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-- Thomas Jefferson

No comments: