Sunday, May 26, 2024

Fox's Journey of Self-discovery

I'd settled at table, ready to eat,
When a sudden knock had me to my feet.
The Footsore Fox stumbled through the front door,
And I wondered what he had come here for.

Fox said for a cookie and Earl Grey Tea,
He would gladly explain it all to me.
With a sip of tea and hunger sated,
This was the story ol' Fox related:

"Upon the trail of life, I paused to peer,
A backward glance, in search of yesteryear.
Into the past, where paw prints mark my way,
To glean the wisdom that might guide today.

In valleys deep, where shadows hold their court,
I wandered lost, in time's relentless fort,
Whose walls of gray obscure the light of sun,
Regretting some deeds I have left undone.

Dark weeping stones and mist that swirls like fears,
A voice that echoes, falls, and disappears,
In dusk of life, where hope seems far and faint,
I stood alone, my heart beset by plaint."

Fearing this chasm, Fox leapt to the now,
Where his trials and tribulations bow
To the strength he has found in present stride,
For though the path is rough, it's here he'll bide.

No cake-walk journey, but smoother than before,
The road unfolds, less daunting than the lore
Of darker days, now shadows of the past,
Their lessons learned, their memories outcast.

For he does not dwell in what has been,
Nor does the Fox leap to futures unseen.
The oracle's vision, tempting as it seems,
Is but a siren's call, just fleeting dreams.

"The moment now is where I stand,
With lessons learned, close at hand.
From darker days, the wisdom I've accrued,
Is the lantern guiding my pursuit renewed.

So forward on this journey, I must tread,
With eyes set firm on the path ahead.
The past, a teacher stern yet just,
Instructs me in the art of trust.

To trust in steps I've yet to take,
In the promise of the dawn I'll wake.
And though the road may twist and turn,
It's here, in now, I live and learn."

The Fox sighed once and curled up on the floor,
Hugged tightly his cane and began to snore.
His journey of self-discovery done,
Peaceful sleep is a reward he's won.

Mick McKellar
May 2024



No comments: