Monday, January 02, 2012

Shine a Light


January is named for the Roman god Janus, a two-faced god who looks to both future and past. New Years Eve, I dreamt I sat up, shivering in the silent darkness of my bed, in the wee hours of January 1, 2012, and saw a vision of myself perched on the ancient marble head of Janus...unsure which way to look...fearful of the regrets of the past and the uncertainties of the future. I was terrified that by trying to look both ways, I would overbalance, slip, and plunge into the misty shadows at the foot of the timeworn stone deity.

I woke shaken from the dream and said a prayer for peace of mind to focus on living in the present -- for one cannot live in the unchangeable past, nor in the uncertain future. As I prayed, the moon peeked past the clouds and momentarily touched my window. I felt my petition had been answered.

Happy New Year!

Mick

Shine a Light

I was lurking in the shadows, alone
And frightened, at the rolling of the year.
My heart felt heavy, brittle, hard as stone,
My muscles locked with overwhelming fear.
In silent darkness, perched upon my bed,
The new year drenched my mind with cold dismay.
As voiceless trepidation filled my head,
Trembling and soundless...I began to pray.
I asked for peace, for mercy, and for light,
And through my window, slashed a silver ray
Of brilliantly-shining argent moonlight,
That flared just once and chased my fears away.
And so, without a whisper or a word,
I knew my passionate prayer had been heard.

Mick McKellar
January 2012

No comments: