Monday, February 09, 2015

The Chaos of Loss

The Chaos of Loss

Yesterday, I remembered who you are.
Today, I know your face, but not your name.
The distance to tomorrow is so far,
That likely there will be a guessing game.
The words I want to say are written bold,
Upon a wall too far away to read.
My friends say this is part of getting old,
But, that won’t tell me how I should proceed.
For shelves where I once stored my memories,
Are growing barren and covered with dust.
Could someone help me find what’s missing, please?
There’s so much missing, my mind won’t adjust.
Would someone please unlock the recall dam,
And then, help me remember who I am?

Mick McKellar
February 2015


Call it Alzheimer’s disease or dementia or forgetfulness, it does not feel natural and it is frightening.

Mick

No comments: