Sunday, May 22, 2011

Dozer

Falling asleep in an easy chair sounds like an every day occurrence, but this has not always been so for me. I rarely napped, and while taking steroid medications in the last month and a half, I required chemical help just to get my eyes closed at night. Today, for some reason, I need help propping up my eyelids.

"Catching up on lost sleep," seems a favorite reason for snoozers worldwide to explain extra hours spent in bed or a long afternoon nap on a comfortable sofa. I don't know if I can catch up on over sixty years of sleeping only four to five hours a night, but I do know that I'd rather not start just now.

Mick


Dozer

I thought that sleep lost, was lost forever,
A leaf on the river gone to the sea.
That doesn't stop my body, however,
From trying to find the slumber for me.
Despite my best efforts to stay awake,
Though snugly ensconced in my easy chair,
I then come back to myself with a shake,
And realize I have been snoozing there.
At first this left me annoyed and upset,
Nodding right off, at the drop of a hat.
It seems, I need all the sleep I can get;
I guess I'll just have to get used to that.
The body has simple wisdom to share:
When tired, find rest, any time, anywhere.

Mick McKellar
May 2011

No comments: