Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Honoring the Gift

I am a lucky man to have friends and family who care about me at a time when I could spend all my hours feeling sorry for myself. Yet, I do not feel sorry for myself. During and while enduring the challenges of my illness, I learned a valuable life lesson. I have learned to live in the present.

For each new day is for me a gift from God. I strive to make the most of each one and to live each day to the fullest and to honor the gift of each new day.

Mick


Honoring the Gift

The joy of a sunrise near breaks my heart,
As the early light so wan yet pleasant,
Gives me the strength and the power, to start
Planning to make the most of my present.
For that precious present is all I need,
To fire my spirit and blood to rise,
So my tree of life, now a tiny seed,
In a single day can reach to the skies.
And if in that single day I can find,
Another soul in distress or in pain.
And in giving love and compassion, kind,
Offer solace sincere from stress and strain,
Without worry or doubt about short shrift,
I have given honor to God's great gift.

Mick McKellar
May 2011

No comments: